San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Sunday, January 25, 2009

82 Days 'til Coachella - Still Nothing Official


Well, shit.

There's still nothing official on the lineup for this year's three day music festival in the desert. Rumors now include things as ludicrous as Paul McCartney, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen. After last year's Sunday headliner surprise of Roger Waters, though, anything's possible.

I actually called a couple of local radio stations (yeah, I know, I know, but I'm desperate) to try to get the skinny. 91x told me that they'd have "all the details" Monday (tomorrow), so we'll see. I also spoke to Mike Halloran at 94.9, who's a really cool cat, the last hope for decent radio in this town, and has been for over 15 years. He stated that he "knew some things" but that nothing was final until the announcement was made.

The Orange County Register has some new rumors up as well, including the one about Sir P. McC, but I don't think they're any more valid than the ones that have been put up by bloggers across the 'net who have actually taken the time to check their favorite bands' schedules for allusions to Indio, CA between April 16th and 18th.

If you can't be bothered to click the link (or if my feedback on that page never gets approved), here's part of my response to this article:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s all rumors until they post the lineup, and even then, nothing is for sure (see the late addition of Prince last year, the once-posted and then quickly evaporated Cocteau Twins and Future Sound of London a few years back).

Agreed that the RHCP would be a very UNWELCOME act this year, or any other. They’ve outlived their welcome, IMHO. I saw them at Lollapalooza 2 (dating myself) in 1991. That was a good show but enough for me. Then again, I’m the kind of guy who leaves before Tool or Rage Against the Machine gets started because I just can’t be arsed to deal with meathead fans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record, I managed to get Tool's Coachella set in its entirety on the ol' BitTorrent, and I have to say it was absolutely amazing.

Hopefully the rumors that the full setlist will be posted tomorrow are true. Stay tuned.

No comments: