San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

16 Days 'til Coachella - Matt & Kim

How much do Matt & Kim suck? Read on.

Today, Coachella.com featured Sunday fine print artists Matt & Kim, so I decided to check them out. There are elements about their music I like, like the fact that they don't seem to take themselves too seriously and they can sound a little like Mum if you squint your ears real hard, and elements that I don't like, like the fact that while they're good at what they do, I feel like it's been done before. They've sort of got this 1980's thing going, with nods to acts like OMD and Howard Jones, but with Echo and the Bunnymen playing at the same festival, I'll go with the orignators over the imitators in this case.

I think they could grow on me though. I have to say, it's poppy as a dump Elvis took after gorging on peanut butter and Rice Krispies sandwiches, which isn't all bad.

OK, after three songs, I can't say they're a must-see, but I admire the starry-eyed optimism vibe they've got going, and for that, I'll try to catch them if it's possible. A reluctant thumbs-up, but I kinda hope their performance makes me eat my thumb.

1 comment:

Steve Gray said...

Howard Jones. Really? If you're comaparing the crap Matt and Kim put out to him, or even to the sound a donkey makes when he takes a dump, you're giving them way too much credit. They suck and should just fucking go away.