San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Monday, April 12, 2010

4 Days 'til Coachella - Friday preview


First, let me say that it's pissing me off that they've got a link up to the set times, but when you try to click it, it gives you a "forbidden" error. Here's where the set times will be when they're finally posted:

http://www.coachella.com/event/set-times

EDIT: Link is LIVE!!!!!!!!!

So, I've actually taken the time to listen to some tracks from every single band on the schedule on Friday. Here's the skinny:

Must See




  • Céu - She sounds like Bebel Gilberto, and I love that. Great voice, I can't wait to hear it filling up the field.
  • Fever Ray - The singer from The Knife. 'Nuff said.
  • Gil Scott-Heron - My hero. This man is a god. When his soulful pipes open up, they're going to fill the hole in your life.
  • Grizzly Bear - Honestly, I have my doubts about a live show at Coachella. I'm concerned that their nuances will be lost on the hordes of people, but I'm willing to take the chance.
  • LCD Soundsystem - They're just fucking awesome. I hope they're on the main stage this time so the posers will get to see them too.
  • Little Dragon - Damn, smooth as liquid chocolate, darker than sweet. And the lead singer's nothing to shake a stick at (unless you think that'll work).
  • Passion Pit - One of the several acts this year I've noted as "weird-good!" Fans of Animal Collective and Mercury Rev, line up.
  • Public Image Limited - I missed the epic triple-bill they were part of back in 1986 or 1987, the other two bands? Sugarcubes and New Order.
  • The Cribs - They sound like The Cure but with a little more screaming.
  • The Specials - These guys are ska legends. I'm not big on ska, but I'll happily watch legends perform if they don't suck.
  • Yeasayer - Quirky, cool, crazy and worth your attention.


Don't Cross the Field to Piss On 'Em If They're On Fire (ESPECIALLY If They're On Fire!)




  • Baroness - Dump metal with math. I don't like either of those things.

  • She & Him - Not only are they on a fucking iPod commercial, they sucked even before they got there.

  • Alana Grace - Oh, no...

  • Street Sweeper Social Club - A bunch of swears and that rock/funk/rap/crap bullshit do not an entertaining act make (see also: 311 sucks balls)

No comments: