San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

9 Days 'til Coachella - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros


A coworker mentioned that her daughter (who is a high school junior) was really wanting to go to Coachella to see this band, so I was a little reluctant to check them out. However, this girl has given me hope for the youth of this country, as what I've heard is rather good. Also, Saturday's not looking fantastic at this point, so every little bit helps.

Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros sound like, as far as I can tell ya, a cross between Arcade Fire and Bright Eyes. But they're neither derivative nor imitative of either. There are little elements of originality here and there, maybe nodding to the aforementioned groups, maybe just coincidence.

A little bit Sergeant Peppers-era Beatles, a little bit sing-a-long campfire shit. Bottom line: I'll be there. I like what I'm hearing, and I like that I'm hearing what suburban high school kids like, and I like that I like what they hear.

No comments: