San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Saturday, January 18, 2014

83 Days 'til Coachella - Dum Dum Girls



Sub Pop used to crank out the music that defined a generation.  Bands like Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, and my personal favorite, Tad, until he got fat.  Wait.  He was always fat. Oh well, whatever, never mind.

I wish what Sub Pop was putting out these days did the same thing for music, because what I've heard from their artists in the last few years is pretty phenomenal.  Some of the bands signed today include Washed Out, Mudhoney (who probably never left their Alma mater), and SDRS darlings Mogwai, all of who are cranking out excellent music outside the fray of what you expect to hear these days.

In that group now is Dum Dum Girls, a band that sounds like a throwback to the early '90's in a lot of ways.  If I have to say something bad about them (and I do), it's that they sound a little derivative of the greats - Lush.  (The Almighty) My Bloody Valentine, and most of all The Jesus and Mary Chain.  In fact, the singer sounds so much like a cleaned-up PJ Harvey and a sweeter Hope Sandoval had a lesbian baby that I got a little aroused listening to their upcoming single.

OK, a lot aroused.

It doesn't hurt that she's gorgeous, or that the music has this droney, driving, minor-key yeaahhhh I love it sorta thing going for it.  And it doesn't hurt that they sound like a ton of bands I love.  Hell, if you're going to "wear your influences on your sleeve," do it well.  And sound like somebody good.

Sadly, my prediction is that these guys will be relegated to a very early slot on Friday (or will be pitted against the headliners).  And while that's the day we're usually standing at the gates, waiting with about 20 other front row Joes to get in, I really think a lot of people are going to miss them.

Their new album, Too True, drops January 28.  Check that shit out.

No comments: