San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Antony and the Johnsons To Play Walt Disney Concert Hall 2008-10-16



The first time I heard I Am A Bird Now, the most recent release from Antony and the Johnsons, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it.  Here's a guy with an almost angelic voice, race car driver-like control of trills and a torch song range reminiscent of Nina Simone, but I couldn't see it.  Not on the first listen.

Still, I was intrigued enough to listen again.  And fairly quickly, again, and again, and again.

It's puzzling to me now, when I can't listen to songs like Hope There's Someone without tearing up, that I didn't get it the first time I heard it.  But I knew there was something there, and that kept me listening.  His voice absolutely destroys me, makes me hurt in the pit of my stomach as if I'm actively experiencing what he's singing about.

The act has an album due Oct 7, 2008, so it's strange that this tour is so truncated.  Using the business model of Radiohead's Kid A tour, there are two dates.  One in New York, and one in LA.

If you're up for something truly unique, please, please, please catch this show.




1 comment:

Morgan said...

I think Antony and the Johnsons are absolutely beautiful. I've also been a fan of Nina Simone and the analogies are pretty spot on.

Currently, I'm writing to you to let you know about a San Diego electronic music/culture news/blog aggregator I'm thinking about creating. At the very least, I'd love to include your blog (love the title;) as one of the news sources.

I used to be the main coordinator for ShareSD - a monthy gathering of electronic musicians at the Kava Lounge. Currently, I'm the web admin/content/community manager for our website - content is VERY old, but you can view more about us here - www.sharesd.org.

Look forward to hearing back soon!

Morgan


p.s. there's no bio, contact or about info about you on here (or looprication) is that intentional?