San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Monday, April 5, 2010

11 Days 'til Coachella - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble



Somewhere buried in that you-could-fit-it-on-a-grain-of-rice sized writing, Goldenvoice snuck in a real gem. As soon as I saw the group's name I was intrigued. These three words were probably never uttered in the same breath before these guys came along, but I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of those acts everybody's talking about.

These guys make music that's somewhere between instrumental James Bond film music, bossanova and trip-hop. I'm really not sure how else to describe them, they sound like maybe Matthew Herbert Big Band(who opened for Bjork at The Hollywood Bowl back on the Vespertine tour) as scored by Kruder & Dorfmeister.

This ain't your grampa's oom pa pa band, folks. I'm not sure when they stashed this excellent act into the lineup, but I'll be there Sunday watching, swaying and getting down with the rest of the groovy people.

Oh, and I found this on the Coachella message boards. This has nothing to do with Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, but it's funnier than shit.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

www.HypnoticBrassFilm.com

feature length documentary about this brass band of brothers, the youngest of Phil Cohran's 25 children

Maashu said...

Hey Reuben!

Thanks so much! I wasn't aware of this, will definitely have to check it out.

Are you going to Coachella? A friend of mine took a few pictures of them on the street in NYC, he lives in Queens so I assume that's where he was at the time.

http://www.23hq.com/insky/hypnotic

Cheers!

Unknown said...

thanks man! the shots of LT (tuba) in particuilar are great.