San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Monday, April 9, 2007

Coachella - Research - Amy Winehouse


This is the reason I go to Coachella.
And the reason I subscribe to Napster.

Come to think of it, Coachella is my one true vacation every year. I get to drive a mere two hours, NOT to LA, to see up to 100 bands in a weekend. This year, the third day might actually present me the opportunity to see that many.

I'm all about quality over quantity, and that's why I'm finally starting to research the bands I'll be seeing this year. Tonight, I realized that Amy Winehouse is one for the must see list. The AMG write-up alludes to the fact that she's done some jazzy stuff, but her Back to Black offering, which I'm listening to now, is heavy on the Motown influence. But there's something else here, something almost Beck-like, that I can't quite put my finger on. It's not quite that weird, but the beats are just infectious.

And you've gotta love an album that starts off with the hook, "Try to make me go to rehab / I said no, no no!"

No comments: