San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Saturday, April 7, 2007

TV On the Radio - Belly Up Tavern - 1 April, 2007




I have to admit that I'm a relative newcomer to this band, and I can't really call myself an avid fan. I was glad that we got tickets back in early February, before Sparklehorse played at Belly Up. By the middle of February, the show had already sold out.

I don't know the names of most of the songs, and I'm only familiar with their 2006 release, Return To Cookie Mountain, but I have to say that they were very impressive live. A four-piece, from what I could tell, I'm not sure if they had any synthesizers or if they were using DAT for some of the more eclectic sounds, but they managed to pull off the cacophony of sound in a live environment very well.

I do know that they played I Was A Lover and Wolf Like Me from the Cookie Mountain album, which was very highly regarded by pitchforkmedia.com in last year's roundup of the best albums of 2006. I hate Pitchfork sometimes, but I have to admit, with these guys, they were right on.

This is a picture from the show. It was forbidden to take any pictures, but you know us.

No comments: