San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Thursday, March 21, 2013

22 Days 'til Coachella - Purity Ring



I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Purity Ring is the first band I've discovered as a result of this Coachella that I truly love.  I picked up their latest, Shrines, when I was at Amoeba a few weeks ago.  We were up in Los Angeles to catch what's surely going to go down in history as The Morrissey Show At Hollywood High School.

I think it was a staff pick, if I remember correctly, and the little 3x5" card taped to the CD mentioned something about the fact that they were pioneers of the "witch house" scene (think The Knife).  I wasn't at all disappointed to find out that this album didn't remind me of that vibe at all.  There's some great production on here, but moreover, great percussion and balance of elements.  The vocals may nod to the Dreijer siblings at times, but Shrines has a sound that's all at once retarded (from Dictionary.com - to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.) drum and bass and ethereal all at once.  There's an overall sense of peace when listening to this sometimes frenetic music, and while there's never a real need for panic, there's definitely something bubbling under the surface that keeps you... well, not on the edge of your seat, but attentive.

Oh, fucking great.  I just realized they're on Friday.  Friday is the absolute DO NOT MISS day of the festival.  Hearts will be broken, pants will be shat, and minds will be blown.

That's the problem with a really, really good year.  Choices will be made that will be hard to live with before, during and after.  It's a lot like college.


No comments: