San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Sunday, March 3, 2013

40 Days 'til Coachella - Bat For Lashes

 

I finally got the chance to start checking out some of the bands that will be playing at Coachella 2013 that I'm unfamiliar with. This weekend, I had the pleasure of discovering Bat For Lashes, aka Natasha Khan. Bat For Lashes was the first act we knew of that was "unofficially" booked for the festy, due to a combination of verifiable rumors and the band's own Web site.

While I still haven't familiarized myself with her entire body of work, I can say that what I have heard has haunted my head since I first listened to Laura, the first single from 2012's The Haunted Man. While the comparisons to other artists like Sarah McLachlan and Imogen Heap are inevitable, Bat For Lashes brings something unique to the table. It's hard to put a finger on, but her songs are perfectly-crafted somber vignettes. These songs would sound amazing with standard instrumentation, but between the swelling orchestral movements and the well-placed glitchiness of the rhythms, Khan successfully molds the hopeless with the hopeful.

Also, it never hurts when an artist looks good sans clothing.

No comments: