San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Monday, March 11, 2013

32 Days 'til Coachella - TNGHT

This track is a little gratuitous on the "baby from Prince / Delirious" sample, but it's still intriguing.


As a responsible festivalgoer, I always try to evaluate the undercard to the greatest extent possible.  It's the foreplay of the festival.  And as any successful lover will tell you, if you can't warm up, you're not going to give (or get) much bang for your buck.

I knew there was something I liked immediately about TNGHT.  It was quirky, almost what I'd refer to as "ambient hip-hop" (see Dragonfly), but there was another element I was drawn to.

When I researched it a little bit more, I found out that these guys were on Warp, the label that has hosted such mindblowing acts as Boards Of Canada, Flying Lotus, Gonjasufi, Bibio, Aphex Twin, Grizzly Bear, and Our Lord And Savior Of Ambient Music, Brian Eno.

I am in no way putting TNGHT on the same level as all or even any of these artists.  These guys have a great thing going, very glitchy, awkward rhythms and melodies that catch the attention of the most jaded (me), and like a good storyteller, make you wonder what's coming next.

In this age of disposable everything, this is an act you might want to pay a little bit of attention to.

Yeah, I ended that sentence with a preposition.  You don't like it?  Suck it.

No comments: