San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

22 Days 'til Coachella - The Gaslight Anthem


There's something about these guys that doesn't suck, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I mean, they're not bad, and in fact, I can picture them being a decent late afternoon Sahara tent band, or even an early afternoon Outdoor Stage surprise. They've got that poppy, power-punky brewster kinda thing going on, lots of jangling and good hooks. And I think they've got some sort of Irish-type feel as well, but it's hard to tell.

And they kind of sound like The Replacements. Which isn't all bad, but hmmm. The more I hear of them, the more they sound like The Replacements, which isn't all good. It's always weird to see which bands are being referenced, but these guys definitely sound like those guys. Their AMG page compares them to Springsteen, too, and I can see that as well. More the Born to Run shit than the great stuff from Ghost of Tom Joad, fair warning.

So yeah, not something I'd normally listen to, but they would probably be fun live, and I think the kids will like 'em. But since they're on Sunday, they've got the deck stacked against them as far as I'm concerned. I just can't see going out of my way to watch them unless it's very, very early, or they've got naked chicks passing out free beer.

No comments: