San Diego Radio Sucks Quite A Bit

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

23 Days 'til Coachella - Sleigh Bells


OK, so I'm a little lazy these days, just blogging about bands that are featured on Coachella's homepage, but as I said earlier, I think it's a really cool thing that they're helping advertise the music of bands who have their names in two-point font on the poster.

Having said that, I think Sleigh Bells could end up being pretty good musically, if you can get past the fact that a lot of what they do live is sequenced. Yeah, they're a duo, female singer and male everything else (production, beats, guitars, etc.) and yeah, that's impressive. The better the music, the less I focus on the fact that they've got a DAT playing onstage with them.

I like what I've heard of the music, largely because it simultaneously nods to hip-hop and thumbs its nose at it. Just when you think someone's going to bust out a fresh rhyme, something quirky and wonderful comes out of the speakers. Like in Infinity Guitars, when you think she's going to sound like some shitty M.I.A. wannabe, she just screams her head off into a mic with some strange pitchshifing effect. Also, I have to give them credit, because pretty much all the videos they have online are of live gigs.

I wouldn't say they're "can't miss," but I'd say you should strongly consider checking out at least some of their set on Friday.

No comments: